Sunday 1 January 2012

27 December - squash and chickpea stew

We had a wander down to the harbourside for a bit of lunch in Bordeaux Quay. It was really busy and as we walked in, we didn't think we'd get a table, but the waitress said we could sit at one of the tables by the bar to eat. It was a bit of a mistake though as they'd clearly let too many people in for the kitchen to cope with. We waited an age for just our coffees, then nearly 45 mins for our eggs (it was a brunch menu). I'd gone for eggs Florentine, which arrived as two muffin halves with spinach, but with a very undercooked egg on one and a splodge of uncooked egg white on the other - yeuck! Tris's wasn't much better - clearly the result of a very rushed kitchen. I took it back to complain and they promptly offered to replace it, but I have to say the second plate wasn't that great either. Definitely a case of poor management.

For Christmas, I got Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage veg every day. I've already been using recipes from the TV series, so I knew I already liked it. This evening, I tried out the North African squash and chickpea stew - very substantial and pretty tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment