Friday 27 January 2012

23 January - polenta and beef stir-fry

I was at a bit of a loss what to have for lunch today. I'd had eggs and pasta yesterday - two lunchtime staples - and after a late-morning swim, I didn't have time for a jacket potato. I had rice planned for dinner and didn't really fancy couscous, so I settled on a different carb base in polenta. It's not something I've really cooked much, but a dish of simple soft polenta topped with a creamy sauce of mushrooms and bacon actually worked really well. I think it might become part of my lunchtime repertoire.

This evening, I used up the last chunk of the beef fillet, slicing it wafer thin and stir-frying it really quickly with spices (dried chilli and toasted, ground cumin), some soy sauce and Chinese cooking wine, then stirring in some spring onions and lots of fresh coriander at the end (a recipe from Ching-He Huang's Chinese Food Made Easy). There wasn't a huge amount of beef, so I served it with a big pile of rice and some stir-fried green beans with sesame seeds. It was really tasty, especially with the wonderful melt-in-the-mouth beef - just wish there'd been a bit more!

No comments:

Post a Comment