Friday 13 January 2012

12 January - going solo in malta

It's years since I travelled alone and I'd forgotten just how daunting it can be to go out for dinner on your own in a strange place. I arrived in Malta at lunchtime for a week's winter sun and had a bit of a wander around Vittoriosa - one of the "three cities" that ring the harbour opposite Valletta, the capital. Later, back at my funky little rented apartment, I realised I hadn't eaten anything since a mid-morning prawn sandwich and although I've got a little kitchen, I hadn't had the chance to get any food in. I'd spotted a row of promising resturants on the waterfront, so I headed there. The most interesting-looking was intimidatingly empty at quarter to eight, so I carried on until I came across Sottovento; a bistro with more of a cafe atmosphere - wooden tables with several groups of women clearly out for an early supper and a natter.

Having committed and sat down at a table in the corner, the menu revealed a rather unexciting choice of pizza and pasta. The huge plate of tortellini in creamy sauce with mushroom and bacon that arrived was unadventurous, but tasty and filling and went down well with an equally large glass of local white wine! Determined to try something more local tomorrow ...

No comments:

Post a Comment