Monday 11 April 2011

9 April - lamb & pesto

After a day out in the sunshine, I wanted a simple but tasty birthday dinner, so fell back on an old favourite. I had lamb with Mediterranean vegetables/ratatouille and fresh pesto at a Bristol restaurant, River Station, several years ago and I've been recreating it in various forms ever since. Today it involved some lamb leg steaks, griddled until stripy and caramelised on the outside, but still pink in the middle, served with roasted red peppers cut into strips and cherry tomatoes roasted with a little garlic, then all topped with a splodge of fresh pesto. The pesto wasn't freshly made by me, but from the Waitrose chilled cabinet rather than the nasty stuff you get in jars.

On the side, we had some green beans and rosemary roast potatoes; new potatoes boiled for 10 minutes, then squished slightly so that the skins split and then roast for probably 20 minutes with some olive oil, sea salt and a scattering of chopped fresh rosemary. All washed down with several glasses of Veuve Cliquot - you can't beat birthday bubbles!


I'm not sure the photo really does it justice - I'm definitely going to have to work on my food photography!

No comments:

Post a Comment