Wednesday 13 April 2011

13 April - gilgamesh, camden

Today I met up with a friend in London on my way down to Brighton and went for lunch at Gilgamesh in Camden. It's a huge, OTT restaurant styled on the theme of the epic poem after which it's named (written in about 2000BC and set in Mesopotamia with tales of ancients kings, battles, monsters etc.). My friend assured me that it's even more dramatic at night, but it was still a pretty impressive setting.

We went for a set menu, with a mix of dim-sum style starters, a main course and a pudding. The food is described as pan-Asian and it definitely came up with a great mix of Asian flavours. The starters were quite Chinese-y with prawn sushi rolls, Char Siew pork wraps (really delicious, if rather tricky to eat with chopsticks!) and spicy chicken samosas. Then for my main I had lamb shank mussamon - a meltingly tender lamb shank served in a lovely rich southern Thai sauce - a creamy brown curry sauce, a kind of crossover between Thai and Indian - fantastic! I think we were both pretty stuffed after our mains, but still managed to get through pudding; a little chocolate sponge (quite grainy, a bit like a polenta cake) and a splodge of icecream.

Great company and a great meal - can't complain for a mid-week lunch! I'd definitely recommend the place and I will have to go back some time in the evening to get the full effect.

Now I'm down in Brighton for a week for work, staying in a little rented flat. The kitchen doesn't look bad, but this evening I couldn't manage more than a small bowl of soup after such a huge lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment