Friday 15 April 2011

14 April - pasta with asparagus

It's been difficult to resist the lure of all Brighton's lovely cafes and restaurants, but the idea of staying self-catering this week was partly to avoid spending a fortune on eating out. So I went out in search of supplies instead, the challenge being to get together enough ingredients to make meals but without having anything left over at the end of the week. I'm afraid despite my intentions to be economical, I couldn't resist getting into the Brighton vibe with some independent food shopping in funky little shops and I came back with the ingredients for some pasta with asparagus - yes, again, I know, but it's in season and irresistable! Mixed up with some shallot, garlic and pancetta, it made a pretty good lunch.

Cooking in the little apartment kitchen was fun. Although it's a nice, generally well-equipped kitchen, there do seem to be a few key essentials missing - especially any kind of wooden spoon or spatula. There are metal serving spoons and a fish slice, but nothing to stir with. I may just end up buying one before the week's out. I also ended up frying up my single shallot and few chunks of pancetta in an enormous frying pan!

In the evening, I drove up to Hawkhurst (a village just over an hour away) to meet up with an old friend and some traditional pub food; ham, egg and chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment