Monday 10 October 2011

8 October - pork with mushroom sauce and mixed mash

With my parents visiting today, we wandered down to Riverstation for lunch. When we arrived, I think there was a flash of recognition from the waiter after the eggs florentine fiasco from last time we went! Thankfully, everything was fine today - we all had savoury tart and chips, and sat enjoying the lovely bright space, even on a day with only glimpses of sunshine.

For dinner, I'd bought some pork steaks from the butcher which I'd planned to serve with a big dollop of mushroom sauce. I had some nice big Portobello mushrooms from the vegbox and went up to the fancy veg shop in Clifton yesterday to get some wild mushrooms to go with them. To my disappointment, they didn't have any in, so I picked up a quince and a lovely string of shallots instead. I ended up getting some chestnut mushrooms from the supermarket - I cooked all the mushrooms up in butter, added a splash of balsamic and some white wine, then a blob of cream and lots of parsley. The idea was to have enough mushroomy stuff to make it more of a side vegetable than just a sauce and I think it worked quite well on top of the simply fried pork, with some mixed mash (potato, sweet potato and parsnip) on the side. I think it went down well, with the pork as the star - really wonderful and tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment