Wednesday 19 October 2011

19 October - another beetroot salad and orzo with mushrooms

The salad leaves were looking distinctly sad and starting to go a bit slimy, so it was another salad for lunch, this time a variation on a favourite that involves new potatoes, chorizo and a poached egg. Today's other ingredient was the last of the beetroot, a surprisingly good combination.

I caught a bit of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall on the telly the other night, talking about his quest to eat only vegetables again. His arguments do strike a chord, but Ruby & White, our lovely local butcher's, keeps luring me in and all my veggie intentions go out the window! Having spent the past couple of days eating up the meat in the fridge, tonight I was determined to have something veggie. As I was looking through HFW's new veg cookbook in a bookshop the other day, a recipe for orzo with mushrooms caught my eye, so I jotted it down quickly on the back of a receipt ... on the principle of "try before you buy"! Yesterday, I managed to pick up some lovely wild mushrooms, so I mixed them with a handful of chestnut mushrooms and fried them up in butter, added some garlic, a tsp of balsamic vinegar, a splash of white wine and some double cream. Then I mixed the mushroom suace with some cooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta) and sprinkled some parsley over the top.

I know it sounds a bit silly, buit the result was possibly a bit too mushroomy! I don't know if I got the quantity of mushrooms right, but there seemed to be a lot for the amount of pasta and as the wild mushrooms had a really strong flavour, it was perhaps a bit much. It was a good recipe though and definitely one I'll try again. The orzo made a nice change too, kind of a midway between risotto and pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment