Thursday 20 October 2011

20 October - chowder and coffee cupcakes

Today was rather a domestic affair - gardening and baking cakes! I decided it was finally time to take down the beans and had fun on a chilly but sunny afternoon unwinding the plants from their canes.

Since I had a particularly yummy piece of "cappucino cake" a few weeks ago, I've been craving coffee cake and as I haven't come across any again, I decided to bake my own. I didn't want a big slab of coffee and walnut cake, but little light, coffee fairycakes. I did a bit of searching online and came across a promising-looking recipe on a blog: Afternoon Tea Total. I got the ingredients together and was a bit suspicious when it said to mix the small amount of butter into not just the sugar, but the flour too. As suggested, I started trying to mix the butter into the huge pile of dry stuff using an electric whisk and created a fantastic flour cloud! I ploughed on undaunted though and eventually it did all come together and looked just like ordinary cake mix. The cakes came out pretty well, if a little crunchy on the top (cooked a bit too long/too hot?) and the butter icing was fantastic. Just what I needed with my afternoon cup of tea.


I'd planned to have a jacket potato with tuna and sweetcorn mayonnaise for lunch, but to my immense disappointment, when I opened the cupboard there was no sweetcorn ... so it was just plain old tuna mayo in my jacket.

Perhaps to make up for the lack of lunchtime sweetcorn, I made a smoked cod and sweetcorn chowder for supper ... after a trip to Sainsbury's obviously. I rather seem to have missed the sweetcorn season this year, I think it must've peaked while we were away. The chowder wasn't bad, although I'm not doing very well at cooking for one and I made far too much. I really didn't want more leftovers to eat though, so I ended up having seconds and felt a bit sick by the time I'd polished it all off!

No comments:

Post a Comment