Monday 24 October 2011

21 October - venison and quince

After being out all morning, I was quite late getting home for lunch and feeling distinctly peckish. As ever when you're hungry, my impression of my appetite was a bit out of kilter, so I bought myself a Pieminster chicken pie on my way home and cooked up some leeks to have with it while I waited for it to heat up. Almost as soon as I'd got started on it, I realised I wasn't actually that hungry and struggled to plough my way through the rather too peppery pie!

For dinner I got a couple of venison steaks from Ruby & White and picked up a quince too to have with them. Thankfully, this time, the quince was fine and I made some nice quince and rosemary compote which went really nicely with the venison - just cooking up the peeled and cubed quince with some water and sugar and adding some chopped rosemary at the end. Unfortunately, I didn't do so well with a potato and wild mushroom gratin. I had a few wild mushrooms to use up and I came across a recipe from WFI that looked really nice. I don't know if I got the quantity of cream wrong, or just had the oven too hot, but it came out completely dried out and really quite unappetising. It's always frustrating when you've gone to a lot of trouble with special ingredients and it doesn't come out as expected. Thankfully, at least the venison and quince was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment