Tuesday 18 October 2011

16 October - underdone burgers and leftover pork

For lunch today I cooked some homemade burgers - fried them for a few minutes each side, then popped them under the grill topped with mozzarella. I put them on the plate with a nice big pile of salad (lambs lettuce, pea shoots and beetroot). When I cut into mine though, I realised it was really underdone - not just 'rare', but completely cold and raw inside. Although it was really fresh mince, it was too underdone to be appetising, so I had to scrape the burgers off the plates and pop them in the oven for a bit to cook through. They came out a bit better, but I'd rather gone off the whole thing by then.

Tris headed off to London this afternoon for a week with work, so I had my first lone supper of a week of cooking for one. There was a chunk of cold roast pork from yesterday and some cabbage. For a bit of a change, I decided to braise the cabbage - cooking it long and slow in a bit of chicken stock with a knob of butter, tightly covered for almost an hour. It came out wonderfully nutty-tasting and made a lovely warming supper with the pork and the leftover gravy poured over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment