Sunday 5 February 2012

3 February - tuna tataki

I used to get Waitrose Food Illustrated magazine every month - I've got a shelf of more than 10 years of copies! - but I gave up buying it when it changed to Waitrose Kitchen a couple of years ago and became not much more than an advert for Waitrose with a few basic meal ideas rather than properly interesting recipes. I picked a copy up the other day again though just to see if it had changed at all. They had at least stopped the annoying habit of naming Waitrose products in all their recipes, but it still didn't have a lot of real interest. The only exception was a few pages of Japanese-inspired recipes. This evening I adapted a recipe for seared tuna tataki salad, a starter, into a main course with stir-fried veg instead of the salad. You very simply roll a whole chunk of tuna fillet in a mix of toasted sesame seeds and salt, then sear it briefly before slicing it thinly and pouring over a dressing of soy sauce, pink grapefruit juice and honey.

It was very simple, but really delicious. I probably should have served it with rice or maybe some noodles, but I just had a fancy for chips. So I sauted some parboiled new potatoes and we had them on the side with some wasabi mayonnaise to dip them in (just a few dollops of mayo with some wasabi stirred in) - turned out to be an inspired combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment