Monday 20 June 2011

17 June - pork with gooseberry sauce

I got a box of gooseberries in today's organic vegbox; small, pinky-green and face-pullingly sharp! I ordered them on a bit of a whim when I was choosing this week's box contents and I wasn't quite sure what I planned to do with them. I rather fancied them as an accompaniment to something savoury, perhaps pork, rather in the vein of apple sauce. I found a recipe for gooseberry sauce to go with savoury dishes on the Riverford website, then I came across a recipe from another food blogger (Girl Interrupted Eating) for pork with gooseberry and sage sauce. I went for a combination of the two as below:

Gooseberry sauce: I put c. 150 g gooseberries, a tablespoon of sugar, a small knob of butter, a splash of water and some chopped sage into a small saucepan and heated it gently until the berries were starting to burst and collapse, but a few were still just keeping their shape. Because the gooseberries were quite pink in colour, the sauce came out a fairly nice yellowy-pinky colour, not the nasty green snot colour my fellow blogger found!

When I tasted the resulting sauce, I not only pulled an incredible face but did a little dance at the exquisite sharpness! I was a bit cautious about dolloping a big blob onto our pork chops, but somehow the sweetness of the caramelised pork managed to balance out the tartess of the gooseberries wonderfully and made a really top combination served with some simple new potatoes and summer greens. Definitely one I'd recommend and to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment