Thursday 26 May 2011

23 May - wild weather

I was meant to be heading home today, so we went into Edinburgh for lunch before heading to the airport. When we got into the city centre, it was pretty wet and windy, so we dived into a cafe and stayed put. I'd come across Henderson's on my last visit, but hadn't actually been in. It's a vegetarian restaurant, bistro and deli. We ate in the bistro and I had Moroccan stew, which was meant to be served with couscous, but oddly came with rice. As a fan of vegetables, I'm always more than happy to eat veggie and my stew was good - chunks of vegetable in a tasty spicy sauce. But I never understand quite why veggie food has to have meat substitutes. The stew contained some rather unnecessary tofu-type stuff, which looked like yucky white blobs, tasted of nothing much and really didn't add anything. It didn't spoil a nice lunch though.

After that, everything started to go a bit pear-shaped ... the traffic back out to the airport was completely gridlocked and the wind and rain lashed down, bringing branches down all over the place. By the time we got there, my flight was coming up as 'gate closed' and the airport was in chaos; flights cancelled, huge queues of people not sure what was going on. It didn't look like I was going to be going anywhere, so Jo (who'd luckily hung on) said to stay on another night at hers. Listening to the traffic news on the radio, we found out there were roads closed all over the place, including the Forth Bridge and the motorway, so we stopped at a petrol station to fill up and stock up on supplies before a rather hair-raising and roundabout drive home, sustained by Dairy Milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment